Friday, April 22, 2016

Too Long and Lots of Water Under the Bridge . . . .

Okay, it's been too long when you have to think long and hard about what you password is. 

Sheesh . . .

I've had a busy couple of months but not doing 'fun' stuff like quilting. In early January, I found out some not so nice news, had surgery in February, am recovering and awaiting further treatments. Yes that's right, I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. Unfortunately for me, it runs in my family!! My mom is a survivor and I have a whole new appreciation of the things she went through about 15 years ago. 

Hence, the lack of quilting and fun around here. Just this past week I pulled out the aviatrix medallion quilt kit that I got for my birthday last year. 


This one will be a challenge for sure. Lots of little pieces and I haven't really worked with templates too much so it will be interesting. But just look at all the luscious colours!


 This is my attempt to organize all those little pieces.


I took an afternoon awhile back to make up my bias binding and sew it onto my wedding ring quilt. Still working on hand sewing it down on the back. It sure will be nice to have it finished and on the bed where it truly belongs. I love bias binding! Have you tried it?


I have been given such a wonderful gift from a friend that I met down in the Vulcan area and on the January retreat that I was at. She gifted me a beautiful embroidery machine that was unused. Thanks Ev! I tried it out just a couple of days ago and created this. I can think of many possibilities for this little machine.




Spring has sprung early in our neck of the woods. Generally, we don't really get nice warm weather until after the long weekend in May. Last Fall I planted some irises as they are one of my long time favourites. I was surprised when I saw them coming up because a few years ago I planted tulips and not one popped up. I guess I was lucky this this round.


Weeds and all . . . those thistles always seem to pop up too! Wonder how that happens?!



Just look at how much my rhubarb has grown. I can see stewed rhubarb and rhubarb pie in my future.


Well, I have to say that the hope of spring is very real for me this year. I have made it through surgery and just a round of radiation to go in late May. Looking forward to getting on to the next few months and life in general.

Have a great weekend!!

Shauna